Antibody Discovery (Senior Scientist – maternity cover) - 12 months fixed term
LifeArc is a medical research charity with a 25-year legacy of helping scientists and organisations turn their research into treatments and diagnostics for patients.
We are pioneering new ways to turn great science into greater patient impact at LifeArc. We do this by bringing together a network of partners to tackle specific diseases and by funding academic and early stage research.
You will be working in a cross-divisional team developing therapeutic immuno-oncology drugs within our immuno-oncology alliance with CRUK-TDL and Ono Pharma. The primary responsibilities include aspects of project management (according to capability), implementation of monoclonal antibody generation campaigns and driving these through to final candidate. You will be expected to be involved in the development of new and refinement of current processes. The role is part lab based.
The job would suit an experienced, independent and driven academic post doc wanting to move to a drug discovery environment or a candidate who already has the necessary experience from a drug discovery industrial setting.
· Cell culture and stable cell line generation using methods such as lentiviral, Flp-In or CRISPR technologies.
· Flow cytometry characterization of immune sera and antibody panels
· Biophysical characterisation of antibody panels and selection of leads
· Development of new in-house technologies related to antibody generation and screening
· Management of outsourced activities
· Contribute to project plans and reports
· Analyse, summarise and present high quality data to internal project teams as well as to wide company/external collaborators
· Key contributor to collaborative efforts toward the achievement of workgroup/team goals
· Provide clear and accurate record keeping in electronic laboratory notebooks with appropriate analysis of data
· Ph.D. in Biological Science (Immunology, Oncology or Molecular Biology) or a related field
· At least 2 years of post-graduate experience in either an academic or industrial setting is preferred
Experience – must have
· Experience with multicolour flow cytometry and high throughput including data analysis (e.g. FlowJo/ForeCyt/Attune NxT)
· Transfection of suspension/adherent cell lines and generation of cell lines
· Antibody discovery experience
· Aspects of or full project management experience
· Strong molecular biology skills
· Independent planning of own work according to direction given
· Strong communication skills essential
· Great attention to detail; critical independent thinking with the ability to carry out independent troubleshooting
· Clear and accurate record keeping in lab books and project reports
· Strong motivation, team spirit and organisational skills
· Ability to multitask and work to deadlines
· Must have a positive and supportive attitude toward change and innovation
Experience – secondary but advantageous
· Experience within immuno-oncology or oncology
· Generation of antibodies to multi-transmembrane proteins
· Surface plasmon resonance (e.g. Biacore) and/or biolayer interferometry (Octet)
· Previous insight into antibody discovery and engineering technologies such as hybridoma, B-cell cloning or phage display
· Line management experience
Your salary will be determined by qualifications and experience. In addition, LifeArc offers a defined contribution pension scheme, private health insurance, a flexible benefits scheme, 31 days paid holiday per year.
LifeArc is committed to the principles and practices of equal opportunities and to encouraging the establishment of a diverse workforce. It is our policy to employ individuals on the basis of their suitability for the work to be performed and their potential for development, regardless of age, sex, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy or maternity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief. This includes creating a culture that fully reflects our commitment to equal opportunities for all.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter explaining why you want to work for LifeArc to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Recruitment, LifeArc, Accelerator Building, Open Innovation Campus, Stevenage, SG1 2FX (electronic applications preferred).
Application deadline: 24th February 2020