Antibody Discovery Scientist
x2 positions available (1 Permanent and 1 FTC maternity cover)
LifeArc is a medical research charity dedicated to transforming early stage, promising science into medical interventions that improve human health and benefit society.
LifeArc offers a unique range of transactional science, advice and funding support for businesses or research bodies looking to develop innovative patient treatments. Within the Translational Science area our therapeutics team advances research into early-stage drug discovery – from validating drug targets to developing molecules, with particular expertise in antibody engineering and small molecules; while our diagnostics team collaborates on assay design and development and clinical validation for diagnostics, adding industry-recognised credibility and reducing the time to bring these assays to the clinic.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with established expertise in antibody discovery (preferably using single B cell platforms), to join our Translational Science team. The successful candidate will be working with our Antibody Discovery group, based at Stevenage.
This is an exciting opportunity to work as part of a well-respected, dynamic and multidisciplinary team to drive antibody discovery at LifeArc. You will play a key role in high-throughput cloning and identification of antibody candidates using our NGS-driven single B cell antibody discovery platform, as well as supporting screening of antibody candidates. You will also have an opportunity to contribute to improvements and/or drive innovations to the existing discovery workflow. Working in a collaborative team environment, you will be expected to communicate efficiently, generate work reports, and present data to other teams.
Who you are
· Planning, organizing, and maintaining work schedules
· Running different stages of PCR/NGS discovery workflow
· Performing routine maintenance of relevant equipment
· In-depth analysis of data and troubleshooting
· Visualising and presenting complex data sets
· Maintaining accurate, high quality and up-to-date experimental records
· Coordinating work with other members of the Antibody Discovery team
· Contributing to development of new operating procedures
· Providing training and assistance to new users
Experience and skills
· Strong background and expertise in molecular biology methods, especially PCR and sequencing
· Proven, hands-on experience using monoclonal antibody discovery methods, preferably single B cell-based platforms
· Experience in antibody screening methods including ELISA, SPR or BLI and flow cytometry.
· Experience in next-generation sequencing (NGS) applied to antibody discovery is highly desirable
· Experience with mammalian cell culturing and antibody expression
· Good understanding of antibody sequences
· Background knowledge in immunology and drug discovery
· Experience or familiarity with lab process automation would be a great advantage
· Strong motivation and versatility to work on different collaborative projects
· Meticulous attention to detail
· Ability to critically assess data and solve technical issues
· Excellent communication and organisation skills and team spirit
· Ability to adapt to changing priorities
· Ability to work independently on assigned tasks and in small teams
· Desire to learn new skills and techniques
· BSc, MSc or PhD in biological sciences or related discipline
Your salary will be determined by qualifications and experience. In addition, LifeArc offers a defined contribution pension scheme, private health insurance, a flexible benefits scheme and 31 days paid holiday per year.
LifeArc is committed to the principles and practices of equal opportunities and to encouraging the establishment of a diverse workforce. It is our policy to employ individuals on the basis of their suitability for the work to be performed and their potential for development, regardless of age, sex, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy or maternity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion, or belief. This includes creating a culture that fully reflects our commitment to equal opportunities for all.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter explaining why you want to work for LifeArc and your suitability for the Antibody Discovery Scientist position to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date: Friday 25th June 2021
(Please note we are actively recruiting, and the closing date may be pulled in sooner if the right candidate is identified)